- 1 Best Sump Pump Alarm Reviews- (Updated List)
- 1.1 1. Glentronics, Inc. Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
- 1.2 2. Control Products FreezeAlarm
- 1.3 3. Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System
- 1.4 4. Water Alarm – Leak Bug Electronic Leak Detector
- 1.5 5. Instapark Battery-Powered Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor
- 1.6 6. Reliance Controls Corporation Sump Pump Alarm and Flood Alert
- 1.7 7. Zircon Leak Alert WiFi
- 2 Pros & Cons Of Sump Pump Alarm Systems
- 3 Why should you buy A Sump Pump Alarm?
- 4 Installation
- 5 Types Of Sump Pump Alarms
- 6 Tips That Every Sump Pump Alarm Owner Should Know
- 7 Best Sump Pump Alarm Comparison Chart
- 8 Wrap up
Are you one of the countless homeowners who realized that your sump pump had stopped working only when you finally walked into an already flooded basement? If you are, we are sure that you are now absolutely positive a sump pump alarm would prevent heavy flooding of your basement in the future. Home security matters and natural disasters are one huge reason to discuss sump pump alarms.
You probably think that finding the best sump pump alarm is going to cost you a lot of time and effort. That is not the case, though. Our team has created a buying guide that will help you with this important decision. Getting a hold of this little wonder is not at all a tough challenge if you follow our sump pump alarm reviews below.
After you check them out you can continue reading the practical buying guide that our team has compiled just for you. It is full of tips, secrets, and, of course, instructions on how you have to properly use your sump pump alarm.
- Glentronics, Inc. Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
- PRICE $
- Dimensions : 4 x 2 x 5"
- Weight : 2 pounds
- Material : Multi
- Power Source : Battery-powered
- Control Products FreezeAlarm
- PRICE $$$$$
- Dimensions : 2.5 x 8 x 11"
- Weight : 1.2 pounds
- Material : Plastic
- Power Source : Corded-electric
- Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System
- PRICE $$$$
- Dimensions : 8 x 2.5 x 4"
- Weight : 2.65 pounds
- Material : Rugged cast iron construction
- Power Source : AC
- Water Alarm - Leak Bug Electronic Leak Detector
- PRICE $$$
- Dimensions : 8 x 7 x 6"
- Weight : 15.2 ounces
- Material : Plastic
- Power Source : Battery-powered
- Instapark Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor
- PRICE $$
- Dimensions : 2 ¾ X 2 ½ X 1 ¼"
- Weight : 2.4 oz
- Material : Pvc
- Power Source : Battery-powered
- Zircon Leak Alert WiFi
- PRICE $$$
- Dimensions : 4.3 x 2.4 x 1.4"
- Weight : 6.4 ounces
- Material : Plastic
- Power Source : Battery-powered
Best Sump Pump Alarm Reviews- (Updated List)
These are the top seven products on the market right now. They are not arranged in any particular order. We don’t need to do it – they are all good! See for yourself and pick the one that will best suit your needs.
1. Glentronics, Inc. Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm
The Basement Watchdog High Water Alarm is constructed as a product to reduce the risk of water damage by serving as an early warning system. You can without any problem place it close to a water heater. You can maybe install it by a laundry tub, under a sink, next to your air conditioner or anywhere where water or moisture can occur. All it takes is 1/32” of water to sound a loud 110db alarm that can be heard throughout all of the rooms in your house. This amazing alarm will help you detect moisture before mold can grow, or alert you to potential flood conditions. It includes 6 ft of wire which can be extended up to 100’ if you want to get to those hard to reach locations. The alarm requires a 9-volt battery that you need to buy separately. The solid-state circuitry of this alarm is extremely sensitive and reliable. Battery-saver feature keeps batteries fresh for 24 to 48 months. The most incredible thing about this alarm is that it does not need installation. You simply put it on the floor near a potential water source and if anything happens the alarm will sound for up to 3 days.
2. Control Products FreezeAlarm
The HS-700 HomeSitter from Protected Home is a low-cost multi-functional home monitoring system that will help you protect your home from floods. This device will sound an audible alarm and call up to three telephone numbers to protect your home from damage caused by high temperatures and fire risks, water leaks or power outages. All you need for the alarm’s set-up is a phone line and a power outlet. The installation takes two minutes. This unit will call you if the temperature at your home gets too hot or too cold. This can prevent some burst/frozen pipes, water damage, and mildew. The unit comes with a water sensor which will detect damage to washing machine hoses, leaky water lines or even sump pumps which are overflowing. This amazing device not only calls you but also sounds an audible alarm for when you are home. It runs on regular power and requires 2-AA backup batteries that you need to buy separately. You will receive a phone call notification if your batteries need replacing as well. Isn’t that cool!
3. Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System
The Pump Alarm System with tethered float switch will sound when water levels reach a level pre-set by you. It will monitor liquid levels in sump and sewage basins, holding tanks and other water applications. The unit operates on 115 Volts and includes a 9-Volt battery backup and an automatic alarm reset. The alarm tethered float switch has a 15-foot power cord and the required parts to attach the switch to your pump’s external pipe. This alarm offers an 87 dB siren that will let you know when something is wrong. There’s also a low battery “CHIRP” that will let you know if you have to change the battery. Pump Alarm System will work in both sump and sewage applications. The installation is really easy, everything you need to know is explained in the manual. The only disadvantage here is that you will have to buy your own 9-volt battery as it is not included in the package. The product has a one-year limited warranty for your own ease.
4. Water Alarm – Leak Bug Electronic Leak Detector
If you want to protect your home from water damage and mold and still be stylish while doing so, the Leak Bug Water Alarm is your decision. But do not get confused this water alarm may be adorably designed, but state-of-the-art technology ensures it will detect leaks as small as 1/32 of an inch. With this item, you can save yourself thousands of dollars in potential water damage and give yourself some peace of mind. The Leak Bug will alert you to the first signs of any leak before the damage turns to mold or worse. Even if you are not at home this device will beep loudly for weeks if something is wrong. So if not for you then probably your neighbors will hear it and give you a call, isn’t that reassuring?! If the batteries of this alarm are low, there is no way you will not know because the device will start beeping to give you the notice.
5. Instapark Battery-Powered Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor
Instapark IN07A is an automatic water leakage alarm and it’s a simple one. It is also an inexpensive yet effective device that will significantly lower the odds of water damage and help you avoid its unpleasant consequences. The alarm is powered by a single 9V alkaline battery and guess what – it is included in the package. The IN07A features the main alarm unit with a 130 dB siren connected together with a water detection sensor by a 44-inch wide. All you have to do is place the unit on a flat surface area. That’s the area which it will monitor and will trigger the main unit alarm to go off at 130 dB to alert you to take quick actions. You can place this alarm in the cabinet located under your sink in a bathroom or a kitchen, right by a water heater, a sump pump, a toilet etc. For added convenience, a bottom plate is included to help secure the sensor in place and lower the sensitivity if so desired. The main alarm is easy to install at a height of 44 inches above the floor level. Make sure it is on a flat surface and look to stick it by either the built-in suction cup or included double-sided adhesive foam tape.
6. Reliance Controls Corporation Sump Pump Alarm and Flood Alert
The 6-foot sensor wire is what truly makes the difference when we talk about the RCC THP205 Sump Pump Alarm. Another cool feature is the presence of a wall mount. This way you can have the gadget stay on your wall, protected from all sorts of water. The alarm can reach up to 105 dB and we assure you this is quite loud in case you don’t know how decibels work. The item comes with a low battery signal and uses a standard 9V battery that is not included in the package. The suction cup won’t be needed if you opt for a wall mounting. What you may find neat is the fact that you can have your own musical tone as an alarm. It is fine to use an extension cord if you want to install the alarm at a tough spot. Just make sure the cord stays dry as well.
7. Zircon Leak Alert WiFi
The Leak Alert Wi-Fi is Zircon’s first Wi-Fi enabled smart water detector and alarm that will pop an email, sound some audio, and emit visual alerts to homeowners as soon as any water leak is detected. Each Zircon Leak Alert works separately with your Wi-Fi connection meaning that you can hook up a number of these systems at the same time. The Leak Alert Wi-Fi can be placed in multiple locations throughout the home, office, school, hotel, etc. You even get to think of a name for your unit. The whole set up process should take about 3 minutes. In the event of a leak, you will hear a 105 dB alarm and will also receive an email at all the accounts you have added to the unit’s database. And if that’s not maximum protection, we don’t know what is! The operation of the alarm is fully automatic and battery-powered – no wiring required because this is a smart water alarm. Although you get a warning when the battery needs to be replaced, an argument can be made that an AC power cord would have been a good addition.
Pros & Cons Of Sump Pump Alarm Systems
- Alarms are not expensive – since they are considered to be an accessory to an existing sump pump installation, they will not cost a fortune.
- Extra protection – you can never be too safe. There’s also the saying “better safe than sorry”
- You feel safer – having a peace of mind is invaluable.
- You will have a sump pump alarm text message and you will know that something is wrong even if you are not home – we simply cannot say enough about the convenience that you get. Most sump pump alarms feature functions related to all sorts of notifications. The more advanced, the unit, the smarter it is. You can even get emails from your alarm!
- Not all alarms send text or voice message alerts. Some are just among the old-fashioned gadgets which will just beep continuously for hours even days. Imagine what happens if you aren’t at home. Trouble happens.
- these systems rely on the presence of high ground/rainwater levels in your sump pit and this may not give you enough time to prevent flooding in your basement because
- Most of the alarms do not include batteries so you have to buy them by yourself.
Why should you buy A Sump Pump Alarm?
When encountering the question “Who needs a sump pump alarm?” we would answer Everyone who is in danger of floods during the rainy season, and not only then.
It is very easy to use. You can mount it to the wall or close to your sump, or even little farther away depending on where the sump is. Next, these are some very loud audible alarms that will notify you when your portable sump pump or standard one has failed. This characteristic alone is a good argument to get an alarm because you simply can’t miss it when it goes off.
A slight trouble occurs if the alarm doesn’t go off. Ok, not a slight trouble but a big one. So this is why we highly recommend that you get an alarm which relies on at least 2 power sources – the AC and a battery backup. If you pair it with a battery backup sump pump, then you will surely have some maximum protection against water damage. That’s what we call smart investing.
Additionally, these alarms are easy to test. You can simply simulate flooding circumstances at home and see if the device sends a signal. In one of our other sections we go through the various types of alarms and this is how you will find out exactly what needs to be done in order for the system to be tested.
In terms of installation, you do not need much. Get the instruction manual, find some mounting straps and trust the good old screwdriver. That’s all – nothing special.
- If you own sump pump alarm with a battery backup, then put the batteries. Most of the units require 4 of them. You can use alkaline high-powered lithium batteries.
- After that, mount the device at eye level on the discharge pipe above your sump pump pit basin.
- Use the mounting straps to secure and fasten the unit to the pipe.
- Most of the alarms include two sensors. The first one is digital sump pump float switch, which is perfect for basins with heavy inflow or splashing. The digital water sensor is the other one, it is great for early detection and water pan or overflow applications.
- Snap the end of the sensor into the input on the bottom of the unit. You may plug the sensors into either input one or input two.
- Repeat this process for the second sensor. Fix the sensor to the discharge pipe inside your basin. The height may change based upon your specific needs.
- We recommend that you to mount it at a height that rarely gets water but not so high that you don’t have ample time to prevent a flood when you get your notification.
- Plug the unit into the outlet and flip the power switch on the control panel. The light may indicate that it is trying to find a signal. Then it will turn to solid green when it is connected to the near cell tower.
- Press and hold the configuration button. You will hear the beep and the red and green blinking light pattern indicate that the unit is in configuration mode.
- Your unit cannot receive your text messages until it is placed into configuration mode the unit automatically exits configuration mode after about one hour.
- You previously created a sump pump alarm contact in your phone. Right? Use the standard command phone one then a space followed by your mobile device number. Your unit will receive the message acknowledged with a beep and send a status reply.
- To program the second and third number in your unit repeat the step. Use the command phone two and three respectively. Follow the command with the number you want to receive a text. These are optional numbers and don’t need to be programmed if you need only one number.
- If you simulate a high water level you will receive a text message warning from the alarm.
- You can also simulate a power outage by pulling the plug from the side of the unit.
Types Of Sump Pump Alarms
Everyone has different preferences. That’s why the market gives you a variety of different choices, such as different sump pump alarms or water alarm detectors. We know that it is very difficult to make the perfect choice for your home. That’s the reason why we explain the different types of sump pump alarms in a simple matter. The types are:
Standard– These units don’t have a lot of features. The alarm warns you only with the sound of beeping or buzzing. The positive side is that these units are very cheap, and they are your right choice if you don’t want to spend a lot of money.
Phone or Auto-Dialer – these ones are sump pump alarms that call your phone. They are a bit more advanced. They work similarly to the standard ones, but as you may understand from their name, except the warning sound they can call your phone to warn you for danger if you aren’t at home.
Sump pump alarm with wifi A.K.A an Auto Dialer – this one works absolutely the same as the Phone Dialer sump pump alarm, with the difference that it doesn’t use the local cell tower, but use your WiFi connection not only to call you for an emergency but also to send you reports. You can always check online if the alarm’s working properly.
Cellular sump pump alarm – again, this unit works such as the first one we have talked about above. They contact you by phone but don’t use WiFi or phone line. Such gadgets require cell service plan. Some of them come with the cellular card or separate cell phone which is used only for the alarm.
Tips That Every Sump Pump Alarm Owner Should Know
When you buy or you are searching for a sump pump alarm you have to consider some of the next topics
- Electricity -Is the electrical power in my home constant? If it isn’t, think about buying an alarm sump pump with battery backup.
- Traveling- If you are rarely at home, because of work,on business or holidays and etc. think about getting an alarm which can warn you by phone or your own smartphone.
Best Sump Pump Alarm Comparison Chart
|Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm||$||4 x 2 x 5"||2 pounds||Multi||Battery-powered|
|Control Products FreezeAlarm||$$$$$||2.5 x 8 x 11"||1.2 pounds||Plastic||Corded-electric|
|Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System with 15-Foot Tethered Float Switch||$$$$||8 x 2.5 x 4"||2.65 pounds||Rugged cast iron construction||AC|
|Water Alarm - Leak Bug Electronic Leak Detector||$$$||8 x 7 x 6"||15.2 ounces||Plastic||Battery-powered|
|Instapark IN07A Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor||$$||2 ¾ X 2 ½ X 1 ¼"||2.4 oz||Pvc||Battery-powered|
|Zircon Leak Alert WiFi||$$$||4.3 x 2.4 x 1.4"||6.4 ounces||Plastic||Battery-powered|
There you go, you successfully have completed the buying guide to getting the best sump pump alarm on the market. As it is very important to have such an alarm we sincerely hope that you were able to find the right unit suitable for your needs.
In case you find this article useful and you enjoyed reading it, please share our piece with others so that they can get some info on the subject as well. If you want to point out anything that we might have missed in our sump pump alarm reviews, you just have to leave a comment or pop us an email. Our crew would be more than pleased to hear your thoughts.
Finally, a sump pump alarm is useless without a good domestic sump pump so keep that in mind. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!