We all know that keeping water and flooding away from our basement is a hard job to do. In case you have ever wondered if you should invest in saving your house and foundation from corrosion, the answer is yes. The most efficient thing to do is look for the best portable sump pump.
These really important devices will protect your home from various basement flooding dangers. There are different types of sump pumps but portable ones get more recognition among house owners. One of the most important facts about portable devices is that they have their installation, maintenance and troubleshooting simpler. You will be given the peace of mind for protecting your house from potential basement flooding risks and you will enjoy some mold-free environment.
Check out our top class portable sump pump reviews below and you will, without any problem, find the best option for your household. Our team has created one really practical buying guide just for you! It is full of interesting tricks, extremely useful tips, “top” secrets and instructions on how to properly use your portable sump pump.
Wayne Thermoplastic Portable Water Removal Pump
|View On Amazon|
Superior Pump Thermoplastic Sump Pump
|View On Amazon|
WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump
|View On Amazon|
Goplus Water Transfer Portable Pump
|View On Amazon|
Shaofu Sump Pump Submersible Sump Pump
|View On Amazon|
Best Portable Sump Pumps – (Editors’ Choice)
Let’s begin the article by introducing the 6 finest products on the market right now. These quality devices could be as important to comfortable home life as basic electrical and plumbing fixtures. Keep in mind that they are not arranged in any particular order. It is up to you to decide which one is the perfect one for you and your household.
1. Wayne Thermoplastic Portable Water Removal Pump
This 1/2-horsepower submersible utility water pump can handle material up to 1/2-inch thick without clogging. The Wayne VIP50 removes water within 1/8-inch of the surface. It’s thermoplastic, glass-reinforced housing, and impeller are corrosion resistant which makes this product a pretty sturdy one.
The pump is designed with 1- 1/4-inch discharge for high volume water removal or 3/4-inch garden hose adapter for smaller jobs. You could use it for removing water from flooded basements, boats, low-lying outdoor collection spots and etc. The product dimensions are 6 x 6 x 10 inches, the material is iron and the color is black.
Among the other advantages, we can mention the fact that you can connect a garden hose to the unit. The fact that it is assembled in the US, with foreign and domestic components makes it even more attractive. The 1-year limited warranty will give you peace of mind but in all fairness, the warranty could have been longer.
2. Superior Pump Thermoplastic Sump Pump
With its one-piece motor housing, electronically controlled split capacitor, solid copper motor windings and the exclusive superior motor pump you just cannot overlook the Superior Pump 92330. It features a 1-piece motor housing that allows greater heat dissipation. This design also provides strength and durability.
With this sump pump, you are getting two gears. The split capacitor uses the first gear for startup and the second gear for efficient continuous operation. That means that you get more power for less energy. The double seals on the bottom of each motor plate ensure that water will not enter the motor. This double seal system helps prevent motor failure.
The shaft steel on the 92330 sump pump is no ordinary seal. It is heavy-duty, stainless steel. This pump will lift water up to 25 feet of vertical height and can be used as a utility pump by removing the float switch. It has 100 volts and 0.333 HP.
3. WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump
The WAYNE PC2 transfer water pump is powered by a compact but powerful 115-volt motor. It can drain down to 1/8 in using the suction attachment and lift the water over 35 ft. A bronze plated discharge and intake provides long life and resists thread damage common to alternative plastic models.
The item includes a 6-ft suction hose, water suction attachment, and a replacement parts kit. The maximum flow of the pump is 340 gallons per hour or 300 GPH at 10 ft. of discharge lift.
The power source is corded-electric. The Wattage of the product is 150W and the horsepower is 0.1. There are so many things that you could use this portable transfer water pump. For example, you would be able to use it for removing water from aquariums, clogged sinks, flushing water lines, etc. You can an aquarium with water and then use this pump to circulate water. When you are done, you could put the pump hose on a sprinkler and water the lawn.
4. Goplus Water Transfer Portable Pump
The Goplus water pump and motor housing are made of heavy-duty metal. The high-quality copper wire motor is also one of the impressive things about this item. It provides strong power and allows this mini water transfer pump to withstand heavy use.
Features such as the stainless steel pump connectors, copper hose connectors, and black powder-coated motor shell make this device stable and durable and ensure a long lifespan.
This mini pump has a really compact size but has a large lifting capacity. The water transfer is up to 330 gallons per hour, and its maximum lift is up to 39 feet. If you think this is your sump pump you will be pleased to know that the package comes with a 6-ft hose and a suction attachment. The maximum particle size that can pass through the suction filter is 5mm. The see-through suction hose allows for easy monitoring so that you can make sure your pump doesn’t make any dry runs.
This ultra-light portable pump with such a long power cord can be used everywhere you want. It is very easy to transport and store.
5. Shaofu Sump Pump Submersible Sump Pump
This powerful 1/2 HP Water Pump can transfer about 2000 GPH of water. The max flow rate of the item is 2115 GPH and the max lift is 16 Feet. The power cord’s length is 15 ft and the Voltage/Frequency is 115V/60HZ.
Similarly to some of the already listed sump pumps, this one is also made of corrosion-resistant thermoplastic and that is something that should never be overlooked. The thermal overload protection system enhances the pump’s safety. Thanks to the superior motor and the plastic shell the durability of the product is guaranteed.
The higher base plate assures the prevention of debris collection in the sump pit. Overall, the sump pump is compact and easy to maintain. As you go through the instruction manual, you will see that the installation section is well-written.
The great thing about this sump pump is that you do not need to maintain the oil-free motor and that saves you a lot of trouble. This submersible sump pump is great to drain the dirty water from the pond or garden, to clean your yard or driveway.
6. SumpMarine Portable Transfer Water Pump
This Utility Transfer Pump from SumpMarine is a 1/10th HP multi-purpose sump pump capable of transferring up to 330 Gallons per hour. The product is lightweight and is perfect for household applications and/or emergency use.
The device is compact and easy to store. The powerful 1/10th HP Motor gives this sump pump the ability to remove water down to 1/8-inch of a surface when the water suction attachment is connected. This means that you could not only clean and protect your basement but also drain your pool or even clean your car. It is perfect for water distribution such as watering lawns or gardens and great for draining waterbeds, clogged sinks, and aquariums.
If you decide to order this device keep in mind that it comes with 6 ft hose and Water Suction attachment as well as an impeller replacement kit. The weight of the item is 5.9 lb and the voltage is 115 volts. The only disadvantage is that it could be a bit loud and if it gets too hot it will shut down until it cools.
Pros & Cons Of Small Sump Pump Systems
If you ask most of our crew, they will tell you that the advantages of portable sump pumps far outweigh the disadvantages. However, we will let you decide after taking a look at the shortlist below. After all, some aspects are rather subjective.
- Mobility – of course, this is the main characteristic of portable sump pumps. The fact that you can carry your unit with you and apply it at various areas makes it an invaluable asset. Tuck the pump away and just move on to the next place that requires some water draining.
- The cost of maintaining a sump pump is low in most situations – the slight downside here is that if the pump breaks, you might be better off buying a new one. Maintenance is not hard because the gadget is small but the damage is almost always fatal.
- When a sump pump has been properly connected and used, it’s the most effective way to move water away from the foundation and help keep the basement or crawl space dry in wet conditions. Regardless of the fact that portable sump pumps are not permanently installed, you ought to make sure that you run the cords and attach the parts properly. We got more info on the subject below.
- Most of the units operate quietly – not only you but also your neighbors will be pleased to hear this.
- No Radon risk. A sump pump system requires a sump pit to be dug, which creates an opening in the earth beneath your home where Radon can come through. However, the portable units do not require a pit and a liner. This is true even for the submersible portable sump pumps.
- A sump pump is an active system meaning that it requires electricity whenever it turns on to pump water away from the home. Normally this is no issue, but in situations where larger rainstorms also lead to power outages, there is a small chance that you still find yourself with a flooded basement.
- You probably will have to spend money on buying batteries because some of the pumps do not come with any.
- Some of the sump pumps do not have a check valve and it’s recommended that a check valve is installed in the pipe between the pump and the discharge line. This will stop water from backing up into the impeller and causing it to unscrew.
Why Should You Buy A Portable Sump Pump
When you’re buying a home, selling a home, or you have your own, it’s important to recognize the signs of water damage. Water will not only damage your walls and floors but may also cause toxic mold, which can seriously damage the health of your entire family. It can also cause permanent structural damage to your house, which could cost you a lot of money. Nobody wants this, right?
Water damage can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water sources, ice dams and accumulation of water in the basement, leaky appliances, and many others. This damage can exist anywhere in the house.
If the water table around your house is high enough, you’re going to have some trouble. Why? Well, it is simple. Water will seep into your basement and foundation. This happens during heavy rains and during periods of snowmelt when groundwater levels are at their peak. We are sure that the latter is something you definitely don’t want, but in some cases of water leakage, there could be serious damage to your home’s foundation. That’s where the sump pump comes to help you. Troubleshooting the wet basements, and not only there, won’t be the same as in the past.
Using Your Portable Sump Pump
In order to install a portable sump pump you don’t need to have an engineering diploma or to be a professional plumber. If you begin panicking about how to install a Sump Pump and where to start, you’re not helping yourself. Just relax and let us help you. We are sure that you will easily handle the installation of your sump pump system.
The process is very easy mainly because it doesn’t exist. Most of the portable sump pumps are just of the “plug and use” type. If you follow the steps you will spare yourself a lot of headaches, and we are sure you’ll feel productive at the end. So here are some tips on how to properly use your portable Sump Pump.
- It is good to find a ground fault circuit interrupter
- Pay attention and be careful, because doing such a thing there always brings the risk of electrical shock. Some pumps are supplied with a grounding conductor and a grounding-type attachment plug. Voltage and current of the power supply must match the requirements of the pump, so read the manual carefully.
- Some units use an extension cord to power themselves. We advise you never to cut off the round grounding prong. Cutting the cord or plug will likely nullify the warranty and make the pump inoperable.
- Use a strainer when pumping from a creek, pond, or source where foreign objects may be sucked into the pump. The strainer should prevent solids from entering the inlet line.
- Once cool trick we can share is that a regular garden hose can be used as a discharge line. This will save you money and will give you flexibility.
- In most cases, the inlet or suction hose is about 15 ft long. The vertical distance between the pump and the water level can be up to about 10 ft. The maximum discharge height of some units is about 30 feet. There will be differences in these proportions depending on the model and brand.
- At times, overload due to overheating, low voltage, jammed impeller, etc. may shut the pump off if you don’t have a battery backup sump pump system. In this case, you can unplug or turn off the pump and wait at least ten minutes. When the pump cools off, turn it on or leave it – some models will automatically reset.
- We don’t advise you to leave the motor operational for more than 2 hours straight. Critical heating can occur and might severely damage the pump and void the warranty.
Types Of Portable Sump Pump Systems
In general, most sump pumps are pedestal or submersible type. The pedestal pump’s motor is on a shaft above the sump, out of the water. These are a less expensive option. Because they’re not cooled by the water in the sump, there is a risk of overheating under extreme use.
However, when we talk about portable pumps you will rarely encounter pedestal ones because they are…well, not small. Furthermore, little sump pumps are often placed very near the overflowing water so they might inevitably get wet.
This leads us to the next type of sump pumps. Submersible sump pumps are on the bottom, usually surrounded by cooling water. Here there isn’t such a big risk of overheating. But keep in mind that submersible sump pumps will cost more to buy.
What is important for automatic submersible sump pumps is that their float switch works properly. This is the part that registers the water level. Once this level gets too high, the float switch also moves up thus starting the motor of the pump. This part has to work flawlessly or you risk having a non-functional sump pump.
Whatever the case, make sure you keep the power cords away from the water.
Tips That Every Portable Sump Pump Owner Should Know
- When you unpack the unit you have bought you must test the pump’s operation by filling the sump with water.
- If you have bought a backup pump you can test it with a fully charged battery. Test the Back-up Pump operation by filling again the sump with water while the primary pump is unplugged. If the Back-up Pump operates properly then everything is okay.
- It’s better to avoid using plumber’s putty when you are attaching a plastic fitting to the pump. Otherwise, it can harm the pump, which isn’t very good.
- Maybe you don’t know but the sump pump is made to handle clean groundwater with no debris. If you want to prolong your sump pump’s life avoid channeling water from a washing machine or a water softener into the sump because such machines add some chemicals.
- As you have understood you can use a portable sump pump to get rid of unwanted water regardless of the area or premises. Some units, however, have their niche capabilities and should be used strictly according to instructions. For instance, we advise you to search for sump pump for pool drainage if you need a device for pumping the water out of a pool.
- In order to get the best value for your money, look for a unit among the finest sump pumps available which includes a good sump pump battery backup and full warranty.
Best Portable Sump Pumps Comparison Chart
|Wayne VIP50 1/2 HP Thermoplastic Portable Electric Water Removal Pump||$$$$||6 x 6 x 10"||6.8 pounds||0.5||2500 gallons per hour||100|
|SumpMarine UTP 115-Volt 330 GPH Portable Transfer Water Pump||$$$||8 x 8 x 7.5"||5.85 pounds||0.10||330GPH||115|
|Superior Pump 92330 1/3 HP Thermoplastic Sump Pump with Tethered Float Switch||$$$$||7 x 7 x 13"||8.55 pounds||0.333||30-Gallon per minute||120|
|WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump With Suction Hose And Attachment||$$$$$||9 x 9 x 7"||6.38 pounds||0.1||340 GPM||100|
|Shaofu Sump Pump 1/2 HP Submersible Sump Pump||$||21 x 16 x 29"||3.66kg||1/2 HP||2115GPH||110|
|Goplus Water Transfer Pump Portable Electric 120V Sump Utility 330GPH With Hose||$$||8.3 x 4.3 x 4.3"||6.3 pounds||1/10 HP||up to 330 gallons per hour||115|
This is where we will conclude our article hoping to have helped you pick the best portable sump pump for your household. In case you like what you read do not hesitate to share our piece with others. After all, everyone deserves to find some answers – don’t be selfish.
Though, if you didn’t like something or you just want to point out an element that we might have missed in our portable sump pump reviews you could leave a comment or pop us an email. We would be pleased to know what you think.
We have a lot of different articles devoted to picking the right unit, so if you have time be sure to check them out! Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!