- 1 Best Aquarium Water Pumps Reviews (Updated List)
- 1.1 1. Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump
- 1.2 2. KEDSUM Submersible Pump
- 1.3 3. Hagen Fluval Sea Sump Pump for Aquarium
- 1.4 4. Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump
- 1.5 5. Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pumps
- 1.6 6. HISP Submersible Water Pump
- 1.7 7. Simple Deluxe Submersible Water Pump with 15′ Cord
- 2 Pros & Cons Of Aquarium Water Pump Systems
- 3 Why Should You Buy An Aquarium Sump Pump?
- 4 Tips That Every Aquarium Sump Pump Owner Should Know
- 5 Types Of Sump Pump Systems
- 6 Best Aquarium Water Sump Pumps Comparison Chart
- 7 Installation
- 8 Wrap up
It doesn’t matter if you are a newbie when it comes to domestic aquariums, your main goal when you have an aquarium to take care of it. You have to maintain a healthy thriving environment for your underwater plants and animals. To achieve this, one of the most important decisions you will have to make is choosing the best aquarium water sump pump.
In order to do so, the only thing you need to do is follow our top class fish tank sump pump reviews below. We have created a list with the top seven product on the market right now that would help you decide which is the perfect device for your needs.
When choosing a water pump type and size, there are several factors that you need to consider, though. For example, you need to know what type of filtration system is best for the type of aquarium you are planning. Also, will your new aquarium require additional filtration or temperature control devices? There are many other questions that you would be able to answer yourself if you just continue reading this very practical buying that our team has put together for you.
- Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump
- PRICE $$$$
- Dimensions : 7 x 5 x 6"
- Weight : 3 pounds
- Power : 30 W
- Max Flow : 1056 GPH
- KEDSUM Submersible Pump
- PRICE $
- Dimensions : 5.7 x 5.9 x 3.34"
- Weight : 2.6 pounds
- Power : 35 W
- Max Flow : 580 GPH
- Hagen Fluval Sea Sump Pump for Aquarium
- PRICE $$$$$
- Dimensions : 7.6 x 7.6 x 6.3"
- Weight : 3.8 pounds
- Power : 58 W
- Max Flow : up to 950 GPH
- Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump
- PRICE $$
- Dimensions : 6.1 x 3 x 4.5"
- Weight : 1.3 pounds
- Power : 25 W
- Max Flow : 400 GPH
- Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pumps
- PRICE $$$
- Dimensions : 6.2 x 4.4 x 6.5"
- Weight : 2.4 pounds
- Power : 21 W
- Max Flow : 317 GPH
- Simple Deluxe Submersible Water Pump with 15' Cord
- PRICE $$$
- Dimensions : 8.3 x 4.6 x 7.1"
- Weight : 4.5 pounds
- Power : 60 W
- Max Flow : 1056 GPH
Best Aquarium Water Pumps Reviews (Updated List)
First, we would like to show you the top seven products that you can find available. They are not arranged in any specific order. After you look them through, do not stop reading so that you could see if you made the right choice and be able to answer all the questions you have.
1. Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump
DCT water pump has a high-performance motor with innovation electronics and energy saving up to 50% than previous models. It has a 10-speed controller, IC electronic detection, automatic power-off protection, and motor protection if the rotor is blocked. All of the things above already make it a perfect choice, right? But as you often hear on TV- that’s not all! We are not finished listing the great qualities yet. The operation of this marine controllable water pump is super quiet, your neighbors will also be pleased to hear this, and the machine is pretty easy to clean. There are no copper components and it has a resistant ceramic shaft which helps for a longer operational life. The power of this pump is 30W, the max flow – 1056 GPH and the max-head is 9.8 ft. The most impressive thing is definitely the price. Compared to most of the aquarium water pumps the product is affordable, durable and the installation and maintenance are easy even if you are not a professional.
2. KEDSUM Submersible Pump
This KEDSUM powered submersible pump is perfect for small to medium sized aquariums, small ponds, water gardens, and desktop water fountains. The small profile size makes the water pump easy to hide or disguise. The dimensions of the pump are 5.7″(H)*5.9″(L)*3.34″(W). It has powerful speed flow – Max Flow Rate is 580 GPH, Max Lift Height is up to 6 feet. The item has no seals or messy oils. What stands out about this aquarium water pump is that it is also ultra-quiet. This gadget is designed for reliability and ultra-quiet operation in order to provide years of service, energy-saving, and low power consumption. The power of the device is 35 W and the voltage – 110 – 120 V. Another great thing about this pump is that it comes with 3 outlet adapters. One is 0.51inch, one is 0.6inch, and the other is 0.7inch, providing a different water flow as you desire. This submersible pump is ideal for fresh-water as well as for salt-water. It is easy to detach and to clean.
3. Hagen Fluval Sea Sump Pump for Aquarium
This Fluval Sea Sump Pump has been designed to deliver powerful flow rate at various head heights and to ensure excellent water flow for sump-equipped marine systems. This high-quality energy efficient magnetic drive unit can be plumbed in or out of a sump. It is rugged and electrically certified for marine use. This cool item runs at a relatively low temperature to avoid affecting the water temperature of the tank, whether running internally or externally. The power of this machine is 58W, the voltage is 120V and the flow rate is up to 950 GPH. If you choose this really powerful aquarium water pump you will also receive barbed hose fittings. The price may seem a little high but trust us when we say that it is worth every dollar. This device is really durable and it is amazingly quiet. You will have a clean and fresh aquarium and no headache, isn’t that a perfect combination?
4. Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump
The Homasy 400GPH submersible pump has an adjustable knob to control the water flow rate so you can get just the amount of water pressure you want. The maximum flow rate of this pump is 400GPH, the max lift high- 6.9ft. The device has also a 25W high-efficiency motor for energy saving. The design is ultra-quiet with 2 nozzles (0.51in and 0.62in) and the high-quality motor will bless you with a quiet but clean aquarium. The threaded fittings of the water pump make it even more stable. The impeller shaft is made of stainless steel for long life span and it is corrosion resistance. You will also have a long enough cord in order for the installation to be easier. The 4 strong suction cups at the bottom of the pump help keep it in place so you can stick it on the proper side of the aquarium. You can go either vertically or horizontally. This submersible pump is perfect for aquarium, fountains, spout and hydroponic systems, etc. Backed by a 12-month warranty and professional after-sale service within 24hrs this little wonder will circulate and aerate the water, making it more attractive to your fish or turtles.
5. Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pumps
The Aqueon Submersible Pump is designed to be the most reliable, energy-efficient, and quiet submersible pump possible. It can be used for fresh or saltwater systems. It has an adjustable flow rate of 317-608-gallon per hour-fits 3/4-inch or 1-inch flex tube-3/4-inch threads. You do not need to add a separate ball valve and the package comes with all the necessary connections. This utility pump is silent, extremely versatile and the perfect thing is that the maintenance is incredibly easy. It is fully submersible and the price is nice. With this aquarium water pump, you will no longer get a nasty film on the top of your water. The installation is easy, all you have to do to get it to fit is take off the back cover and the flow dial and it slides right in. It is ideal for a variety of uses from household fountains to aquarium sumps or powering extra filtration.
6. HISP Submersible Water Pump
This 220 GPH fountain pump not only has 12 four-color ultra-bright energy-saving LED lights & 6ft power cord but also uses a stainless steel shaft and seamless mobile technology. It is so cute and the LED lights are not only waterproof but also so colorful that they are perfect for the night. The look of this item, though, is just the cherry on top of the sundae. It has a large water flow of 800L/H, which can give fish and other aquatic organisms enough oxygen and is adjustable. The pump is designed with an ultra-quiet operation and it is really easy to clean and remove without any tools or accessories. You will have some high quality sleep because you won’t even hear this device working. The small profile and dimensions render this aquarium pump easy to hide or disguise. The item is safe for fish with no exposed copper, ideal for use as an aquarium submersible water pump. There are four powerful suction cups on the bottom of the fountain pump that can be mounted vertically or horizontally on the glass surface. The voltage of the pump is 110-120V, the frequency – 50Hz / 60Hz and the power is 15W.
7. Simple Deluxe Submersible Water Pump with 15′ Cord
This Simple Deluxe submersible pump is a quality product. It can be used in hydroponic systems, ponds, aquariums, fountains and filter systems. It has been developed on the basis of the so-called synchronous epoxy resin. The pump has an economical, powerful and reliable motor. It is equipped with a ceramic shaft and therefore also suitable for use in salt water. The max flow rate of the pump is 1056 GPH and the max lift height 12ft. The pre-filter on the intake prevents debris from entering your pump and extend its life. The polished aluminum oxide ceramic Impeller shaft is non-corrodible and more than 3 times as hard as stainless steel. The epoxy resin encasement of key internal motor components prevents the unwanted conductivity and the corrosion of metal parts. It is 100 percent safe for fish and easy to clean with no tools required to disassemble and clean filter/impeller. It also has 3 sizes threaded nozzles – 83in, 1.06in, 1.34in. This Simple Deluxe submersible pump doesn’t require lubrication or special maintenance and that saves you a lot of time and effort.
Pros & Cons Of Aquarium Water Pump Systems
- Powerful flow rates – depending on the size of your tank, the sump pump might turn out to be pretty powerful. On the other hand, you might not be happy with the flow rate if your aquarium is too big for your sump pump to handle.
- Durable quality – the majority of the devices we have already highlighted for you, show off with a long lifespan
- The installation is easy and safe – as long as you are careful and pay attention to the details we have outlined below, you will be just fine.
- Quiet performance – such sump pumps are designed to be used in side your living room or guest house. Their bread and butter is to be quiet.
- Clean aquarium therefore happy pets – without a doubt your fish will adore their clean environment.
- Most of the time submersible water pumps do not last as long as the external aquarium water sump pumps, so it is good to have a good mini sump pump in case of a bad scenario.
- Submersible water pumps will heat the water, regardless whether they are small or portable ones. If you always run close to the max temp when your lights are on, this could cause issues.
- Some of the aquarium water pumps can be quite expensive.
- Not all of the water pumps are small and can be disguised. Some are plain ugly looking.
Why Should You Buy An Aquarium Sump Pump?
We have found various reasons why you may be in need of a sump pump for your aquarium. You would usually find at home these useful devices because they can facilitate your work when you take care of a fresh or saltwater aquarium. The sump pump allows you to control your reef or fish-only display tank. Now we can take a look at the reasons and the main activities:
- It will remove the top part – this way, you will get rid of any surface scum; you will only see crystal clear water.
- Level up the volume of the water – The pump will decrease the accumulation of pollutants.
- The temperature gets lower – When you install the sump pump you will see that the temperature drops down by a 16,6°C or 2° F in no time.
- Pack away the equipment – Devices such as protein skimmers, heaters, grounding probes monitoring probes, and other can be moved to the basement.
- Constant water level – This way the display tank will always keep the same water level.
- You will be able to pour in additives – Adding new water or chemicals, such as reverse osmosis de-Ionized, in the sump, allows mixing all “ingredients” before the display tank shows it.
- Boosts the oxygenation – When water enters the sump of the aquarium the air is being mixed. This is what allows a beneficial gas exchange, releasing carbon dioxide and adding fresh dioxide.
- The circulation increases – The return water from the sump pump is another option to move water into your tank. Instead of putting a poor powerhead, you can point the return outlet in different directions to create water movement.
Tips That Every Aquarium Sump Pump Owner Should Know
Before buying an aquarium sump pump you should first understand the sumps. What does that mean? You shouldn’t be bothered or confused by questions such as “What Is a Sump?” and “What does a sump have to do with a home aquarium?”. Once you know this you will be able to make a list of the characteristics, pros and cons and many other important things. Our advice is to:
- Go on the Internet and Google each detail. The aquarium water pump reviews recommend you to consider carefully the type of switch. This way you will be sure that you know what kind of sump pump do you need.
- Vertical switches are not adaptable and the pump automatically starts working when the water gets to a level which is previously set.
- Diaphragm switches use the water pressure to power on or off the pump.
- Automatic top-off device – If you decide to install an automatic float switch you will benefit from its option to add new water, if needed, from a nearby container to keep your system filled up.
- Capacitive switches generally live longer and the pump only starts working when the water reaches a certain level.
- Refugium – This lighted area can grow macroalgae, which takes up nitrates from your water. It is well known that the plants also add oxygen and help in maintaining the pH levels when the display’s lights are off. This predator-free zone will make the environment good enough for the growth of copepods, amphipods and another microfauna that eventually end up in the display tank as food for your animals.
- Corrosion resistant sump pump has a longer life than other models.
- Examine the water capacity which will be determined by the size of your tank.
- See the head pressure and flow rates.
- This will also be determined by how many gallons of water your tank holds.
You should consider the size of your aquarium in order to get the right one for you. Look carefully for the sump pump features.
Types Of Sump Pump Systems
Here we have two main types of sump pumps and each one has its own conveniences and advantages. In general, we have highlighted all the different types of the sump pumps and we have selected the finest ones for you in a number of our articles.
The advantage of the pedestal pumps is that they are affordable but must be placed in an area where the motor won’t be submerged, which is its biggest disadvantage. Nevertheless, many of the aquarium lovers use it even though it is visible above the fish tank.
The aquarium submersible water pump is often more expensive, but this sort of gadget is one of the quietest ones. This aquarium water pump and the motor, as you can understand by its name, can be placed under water. A lot of aquarium owners prefer this type (the submersible one) of sump pump because it is usually less noticeable in the tank.
Best Aquarium Water Sump Pumps Comparison Chart
|Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump||$$$$||7 x 5 x 6"||3 pounds||30 W||1056 GPH|
|KEDSUM 580GPH Submersible Pump||$||5.7 x 5.9 x 3.34"||2.6 pounds||35 W||580 GPH|
|Hagen Fluval Sea Sump Pump for Aquarium||$$$$$||7.6 x 7.6 x 6.3"||3.8 pounds||58 W||up to 950 GPH|
|Homasy 400GPH Submersible Pump||$$||6.1 x 3 x 4.5"||1.3 pounds||25 W||400 GPH|
|Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pumps||$$$||6.2 x 4.4 x 6.5"||2.4 pounds||21 W||317 GPH|
|Simple Deluxe LGPUMP1056G 1056 GPH ULF Listed Submersible Water Pump||$$$||8.3 x 4.6 x 7.1"||4.5 pounds||60 W||1056 GPH|
If you think that you need some special skills, installation steps or tools you are wrong. All you need to do is to choose the best aquarium sump pump for you, your aquarium and the species in it. You should be more attentive when it comes to the different ways of filtrating the water. Also, pay attention to the aquarium redox balance. Look for ways to keep your fish healthy by maintaining steady levels of pH within the limits.
The most important steps for setting your aquarium come after you do some more things such as:
- Wash the aquarium pebbles, rocks, and ornaments;
- Connect the airline tubing from the air pump to any air outlets inside your tank;
- Fill your tank one-third with room temperature clean water;
- Add some living and/or plastic plants;
- Then you can add the rest of the water;
- You have to secure the submersible heater near the water flow and place the thermometer as far away from the heater as possible;
- You can plug in your air pump, the power filter, the sump pump, and the heater and start them up.
- A really important thing is to check the air outlets and the settings.
- Test the sump pump. Check if the water is flowing properly through your power filter.
- Set the heater to the proper temperature. The temperature will stabilize in the next 24 hours.
- Our advice is to wait for 24 hours in order to be sure that all the equipment is working properly before adding fish.
Last words from our crew! If you want to maintain your own aquarium and you are doing it for the first time the fish tank sump pump and the different water filters are one of the most important elements to watch for. The pump keeps your tank clean; it will save your fauna and improve the health of your fish. Also, you can set it up under or behind your tank. Such a move will both benefit the livestock and make your reefing experience more enjoyable.
Hopefully, you have found all the sufficient information needed to get the best aquarium sump pump.
Also, you would make us happy if you share this buying guide with others introducing them to the useful fish tank sump pump reviews. However, feel free to let us know if we have skipped anything. Your feedback matters as it helps us improve our guides. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!